Keeping your washing machine fresh means that your clothes stay clean. A regular maintenance schedule prevents the machine from harbouring too much mold or clothes lint or soap remnants which can release a nasty smell. Regular cleaning of your machine will enhance the machine’s performance.
2 things that can keep your machine in regular working condition:
- Don’t mix your coloured clothes.
- Avoid hard water for the machine – this can take a toll on the machine’s insides.
If clothes of a sick person has been washed in the machine, you can disinfect the machine with bleach. If you are not a fan of using chemicals inside your electronics, you can use baking soda. For this, you will need vinegar, baking soda, water and sponge.
- Mix together one quarter cup of baking soda with the same amount of water in a small bowl. Take 2 cups of vinegar.
- Put the baking soda mix into the detergent container of your machine and the vinegar into the drum.
- Close the door and start normal cycle. The baking soda and vinegar will break down the deposits and mold growth.
- With a clean sponge, scrub clean the washing machine. Once done, give a final wipe with fresh water.
Now, top loading washing machines are more prone to accumulating grime as water stays at just one level compared to front loading machines where the drum turns through the water. If you own a front loader, wipe the rubber seal clean frequently.